Thursday, June 16, 2011

Desires

This talk helped me today so I wanted to share, maybe it can help you too.
Desire

OF THE QUORUM OF THE TWELVE APOSTLES



Dallin H. Oaks
To achieve our eternal destiny, we will desire and work for the qualities required to become an eternal being.












I love that when I listen to it, it didn't make me feel like, 
"Heck, I need to get on doing all these things!", 
it makes me feel like, 
"yeah I'm doing good on that and this, but I can still do better at this and this."  

it's a good feeling to know you're progressing.

Sometimes it takes losing things you dearly love to understand & motivate your desires into actions. But I will tell you this,  i'd lose it all again and even more to be able to obtain the knowledge that I have been able to learn from this experience.  



I love this section of it most -  

"When we have a vision of what we can become, our desire and our power to act increase enormously."

Amen to that!

Most of us will never face such an extreme crisis (talking about the 127 hours dude) , but all of us face potential traps that will prevent progress toward our eternal destiny. If our righteous desires are sufficiently intense, they will motivate us to cut and carve ourselves free from addictions and other sinful pressures and priorities that prevent our eternal progress.

We should remember that righteous desires cannot be superficial, impulsive, or temporary. They must be heartfelt, unwavering, and permanent. So motivated, we will seek for that condition described by the Prophet Joseph Smith, where we have “overcome the evils of [our lives] and lost every desire for sin.” 5 That is a very personal decision. As Elder Neal A. Maxwell said:

“When people are described as ‘having lost their desire for sin,’ it is they, and they only, who deliberately decided to lose those wrong desires by being willing to ‘give away all [their] sins’ in order to know God.

Let us remember that desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. 


So great right?! This is exactly the things I feel like I've been going through. 
 I feel like I'm going through the refiners fire and now my righteous desires have become righteous actions in trying to do all that I can to draw closer to Him. They are no longer feeble and weak desires not to have sin in my life but unwavering desires to do what I know to be right in all times! It's all because of the Lord & the strength he has given me after this hard time. I am so freaking blessed it's insane. and the best part is I know because of this time 
& the things I've learned from it, my strength in having righteous desires be rigtheaous actions will only get better and stronger from here. 

If I could be so bold as to tell you one thing, it is to lose all your unrighteous desire not just for sin, but for slothfulness or content in floating through life & the gospel. Give away the lethargic ways & try to come to really know God, it's amazing what a difference trying your best to grow in the right direction makes in day to day life.
Do the little things!!!
Go to bed early enough to read your scripts like you know you should and say your prayers. It has tremendously changed my life in just a short time & I promise will change your life to just do the little things and have strong righteous desires to come to know Him and forsake anything else that may get in the way of that. 


Thank you Heavenly Father for giving me this eternal motivation to not only have eternal righteous desires but to now have unwavering righteous actions, and righteous actions that has turned into a life on the path of righteousness until the end.


Happy Thursday all. Please know you are loved! 


No comments:

Post a Comment