Saturday, May 28, 2011

Gramma G.

Just read THIS TALK about the Lords timing, it pretty much made my night. Please read if you desire, it's a good one.

Anyways, yesterday I got the opportunity to help Gramma G plant flowers in her backyard. (My cool elderly neighbor.)

Confession: Secretly I've always wanted like.. an elderly friend. Who gives me her years of wisdom in advice and who I can help not be so lonely and conversation starved. I've been to visit nursing homes, but those kinda creep me out.. They smell really weird and there's always freaky show tunes playing somewhere unknown in the background.. Anyways, It's a great thing! I am so grateful to be able to push her wheelbarrow around her yard and listen to her stories about her genealogy of pioneers who crossed the plains.

She is 95 years old, still living by herself, widowed 20 years, and has pink hair. 


She told me she isn't the sort of woman who needs a man. :)

But her little wedding ring is ever present on her finger, probably never taken off since the day he gave it to her. It breaks my heart that they have been apart so long, he had a brain tumor and died at 50 something. I hope when I am 95 I can still have a little ring on my finger from back when I was young and found a wonderful person to spend my whole entire life with. She talks about her testimony and she asks about my life and how I am doing. She told me that growth only comes from trials, and how she never thought many of the things in her life would happen to her, but for her to grow they needed to happen.

For some reason when I spend time with her I realize that in twenty years, none of the things that are happening to me now will really matter. She makes me remember that life works out. And when your old and gray nothing really matters but your children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and your garden. This gives me comfort, and I'm glad I learned to find joy in serving, cuz I cherish the time I get to help her lift her heavy bags of fertilizer and shovel out the holes she needs for her rose bushes.

Mostly I just really want to be made into the kind of woman who can marry someone and spend the rest of my life with them, and then some. I'm glad the Lord is teaching me things everyday so that I can be that kind of person when the time comes. In His time, & my perfect time.

"We prepare in the way the Lord has directed. We hold ourselves in readiness to act on the Lord’s timing. He will tell us when the time is right to take the next step. For now, we simply concentrate on our own assignments and on what we have been asked to do today. In this we are also mindful of the Lord’s assurance: “I will hasten my work in its time, ...It is not enough that we are going in the right direction. The timing must be right, and if the time is not right, our actions should be adjusted to the Lord’s timetable as revealed by His servants."


"Do not rely on planning every event of your life—even every important event. Stand ready to accept the Lord’s planning and the agency of others in matters that inevitably affect you. Plan, of course, but fix your planning on personal commitments that will carry you through no matter what happens. Anchor your life to eternal principles, and act upon those principles whatever the circumstances and whatever the actions of others. Then you can await the Lord’s timing and be sure of the outcome in eternity. ”  
- Taken from the above mentioned talk




Happy Sabbath friends. Love you. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey I know this is so random, but I found your blog through the grapevine, and I appreciate the details you've shared about what I assume is a break-up. I started this blog: ldsbreakups.blogspot.com to give practical advice. I loved this talk that you shared and I want to post it on this blog. I hope that is ok. Having optimism is the hardest thing and it looks like you've got that. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete